May is magnificent in Italy… often sunny yet not too hot with green hillsides, fields of poppies and cherry blossoms. There could be nothing nicer than just heading out to the Agriturismo Ca del Re, eating lunch under a tree.
Here’s some of my favorite in Italy during the magnificent month of May, 2012.
- May 19: Get ready to hit the museums! It’s the European Night of the Museum and Italy is on board for the allure of evening openings. Find what’s going on in your area at www.lanottedeimusei.it.
- May 20: The Taste of Milano takes place in the huge outdoor stadium (guess there are times when soccer doesn’t trump all!) Food, food and drink, workshops and more food. Tickets available online and I’d get mine before I hit the stadium lines.
- May 13 to June 3: Gorizia is not a typical tourist destination for Americans, but the Hapsburgs called it “Adriatic Nice.” The exhibit “The Threads of Time” match contemporary art with Italy’s historic lace tradition. I’ve seen some of the works in other exhibits… very cool, and Gorizia’s waterfront is alive and lovely.
- May 23 – 27: Florence’s Gelato (Ice Cream) Festival Need I say more?
- Until June 10: After you lick the ice cream from your hands, walk over to the Palazzo Pitti to see the exhibit “The Professor’s Outrageous Ties”. There’s so much art at Palazzo Pitti that your head can ache after a bit. Don’t worry… head out to the Boboli Gardens and pull out your knitting until you relax!
- May 26- 27: Cantine Aperte Vineyards all around Italy open their doors so you can “see what you drink.” This year’s theme involves young people and families in wine culture (you have to smile when you think how preposterous this angle might seem in North America, but alas, these are cultural differences. I think the wineries are worried about all of the artisan beers being produced in Italy these days). No matter what your age, it’s an excellent chance to taste a variety of wines and fill your wine cellar (hmm, does anyone need a Wine Hug for the road?).
After all of these events, I strongly encourage you to find a great trattoria or agriturismo where you should definitely enjoy a proper meal!